October 11, 2019
There are literally billions of smartphone users across the globe and if you’re one of them, chances are, you’re familiar with the Google maps app. Launched on February the 8th 2005, Google maps didn’t exactly debut with a bang and certainly wasn’t the first digital or online mapping program deployed at the time. According to an article published in The Guardian, online maps had been around since 1993 but weren’t exactly as accessible to the mainstream as they are currently. The article also states that Yahoo had also launched an online mapping program by the name of Yahoo maps a little before the release of Google maps.
A feature published by Vox magazine online states that despite not being first in the market, Google maps, and facing immense adversity in the form of development obstacles and competition from yahoo, Google maps eventually persevered. Funny enough, recent statistics show that the user ranking and base for google maps far outshines the performance of any online mapping app today with a staggering 154.4 billion unique users!
What is the Purpose of Google Maps?
One of the things that makes Google maps such a user favorite is the features it offers and its usability. Forbes did an article elaborating on how Google Maps was a lot more than just a mapping app. Features such as travel tracking, music streaming, Google suggestions, and others offer versatility as well as relevance making the app a user favorite.
What are Google Maps Best Features?
There are a lot of features that Google maps offers, which help keep users engaged with the app. Some of these include:
- Route Mapping
- Travel Distance Calculation
- Travel Time Estimates
- Location Sharing
- Real-Time Traffic Information
- Street and Building View
Other useful but less known features of google maps according to one source include:
- Frequent Address Saving
- Map Downloading for Offline Use
- Ski and Bike Trail Locators
- Vacation and Visit Location Checklists
Finally, you’ve got some cutting edge Google map features which include:
- Augmented Reality Options
- Neighborhood Updates
- Group Activity Planning
- AI-based support and assistance
Suffice to say, the Google Maps app is really something and is probably a must-have on every phone!
Is Google Maps better than Apple Maps?
As an app developing company that works closely with both Android and iOS, it’s our policy never to take sides. We can, however, refer to one article published by the Medium covering the question on which of the two apps is better. According to the article, though Apple has made efforts to bridge the popularity gap between the two applications, Google Maps is currently still in the lead. Its supremacy is in part due to the sheer time spent as a leading mapping app as well as the fact that it still offers a lot more features that the Apple Maps app is currently capable of.
This is why it’s no surprise that many iOS users still have Google Maps on their phones and continue to update and remain loyal to the app.
How Often Do You Update Google Maps?
If you search the question of how often you need to update Google Maps on your Android phone or iPhone, you will likely be served another answer; that to the question of how often Google Maps updates its satellite data!
In the area of satellite data, sources suggest that Google Maps performs satellite image updates between 1 – 3 years. Apart from that, as with any mobile apps, Google Maps does deploy in-app updates which are important to optimize user experience and ensure that the app is running well and bug-free. If you don’t have your updates set on auto, it does help to check for these and make sure you have access to the latest features that Google Maps has to offer.
Updating Google Maps on Android Phone and iPhone
We’re now going to tell you how to update your Google Maps app on your Android Phone as well as on your iPhone in the simplest possible way.
How to Update Google Maps on Your iPhone
We’re going to start by helping iOS users by elaborating on how to update Google Maps on your iPhone. If you’re an Android user and feel this section does not contain anything of relevance to you, feel free to skip it and scroll on right down to the Android how-to section below.
Here’s how you update Google Maps on your iPhone
- The first thing you need to do to update Google Maps on your iPhone or iOS is to enter the Apple App Store.
- Once you’re in the Apple Store, click on the “Updates” button.
- When you enter “Updates” go to the bottom of your screen and look towards to lowermost corner to your right.
- You should find your Google Maps app listed here if it is installed on your system.
- When you find your Google Maps app in the list, go to and select the “Get Updates” option that should be visible next to it.
- The interface will ask for your Apple password.
- Enter the password and when given the option, click on okay and let the updating begin.
- You will receive a notification when your update has been completed.
How to Fix Google Maps on iPhone?
If the Google Maps app is not working correctly on your iPhone even after you perform your update, here are a few quick fixes you could try:
- Make sure your live location settings are turned on.
- Make sure you have allowed Google Maps permission to access your location.
- Reset your iPhone’s Network.
- Shut down and restart your Google Maps app.
- Shut down and restart your phone.
We hope all you iOS and iPhone users found these tips helpful! Feel free to skip the Android section and jump straight to the conclusion if you feel it isn’t relevant. Now for updating Google maps on Android Phones.
How to Update Google Maps on Your Android Device
Updating Google Maps on your Android Phone is something that under normal circumstances should happen along with other auto-updates. If you’re one of the many who have set your app update preferences to manual, follow the instructions below to update your Google Maps app:
- To update Google Maps on your Android Phone, start by accessing your Google Play Store app.
- Once you have entered Play Store, search for 3 lines which should be located around the left corner of your screen to the top. These lines will probably be stacked.
- Press the 3 stacked lines in order to open up a menu.
- Go to “My Games & Apps” in this menu and click.
- Go to the update section of the menu.
- If Google Maps is installed on your phone and updates are available, you should be presented with an “Update” option.
- Tap the button and wait for your update to complete.
How to Fix Google Maps on Your Android Phone?
If Google Maps does not function correctly after an update, some of the things you can do to fix the problem on your Android phone include:
- Resetting Networks.
- Resetting Location Permissions.
- Restarting your Google Maps App.
- Restarting your Phone.
- Ensuring live location settings are activated.
The Google Maps app is something app smartphone users should have and be comfortable with for two reasons. The first is usefulness. The second is convenience and integration. Between app accuracy, informative qualities and the ability to perform numerous social and logistical functions, Google Maps is possibly one of the most relevant and efficient apps out there today.
We hope that Android and iOS users alike found the tips above useful! Till next time folks!